Veterans – Before you die, create an easy to find file in a sealed envelope, named In the Event of My Death

How to Report a Veteran’s Death – Information on how to report a vetran’s death is provided by clicking on the following link: Reporting a Veteran’s Death

Burial Flag Request – Even though you apply for Military Honors, the flag is only provided upon request. You may apply for the flag by completing VA Form 27-2008 Application for United States Flag for Burial Purposes. Or you may get a flag at any U.S. Post Office or VA regional office with death certificate and service (DD-214). Generally, the funeral director will help you obtain the flag.

Requesting Military Honors

Upon the family’s request, Public Law 106-65 requires that every eligible Veteran receive a military funeral honors ceremony, to include folding and presenting the United States burial flag and the playing of Taps. The law defines a military funeral honors detail as consisting of two or more uniformed military persons, with at least one being a member of the Veteran’s parent service of the armed forces. The DOD program calls for funeral home directors to request military funeral honors on behalf of the Veterans’ family. However, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) National Cemetery Administration cemetery staff can also assist with arranging military funeral honors at VA national cemeteries. Veterans organizations may assist in providing military funeral honors. When military funeral honors at a national cemetery are desired, they are arranged prior to the committal service by the funeral home.

CALVET – Requesting Military Honors at a State Cemetery

VFW Military Honors – Contact our District 2 Color Guard Captain

Throughout California – Military Honors per Military Service

Ceremonial Music